BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] automated off-site backup (via BackupPC_archiveStart or restore)

2009-08-10 17:05:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] automated off-site backup (via BackupPC_archiveStart or restore)
From: Jon Forrest <jlforrest AT berkeley DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:01:25 -0700
Les Mikesell wrote:
> Shaun Curry wrote:
>> Thanks Les for this.  Does anyone have a working rsync with -H option
>> over a sshfs?
>
> The concept doesn't make very much sense.  If you mount a remote site
> via sshfs and run rsync locally it's going to have to read all of the
> remote data through the filesystem mount for comparison and not save you
> any bandwidth with the remote block-checksum technique.

That's why you should use the '-W' option with rsync.
It says don't use the magic rsync algorithm.

I think rsync is great but in cases when you have
only new files or files that change completely, the
rsync algorithm doesn't do anything for you that
I can see.

--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support