BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] HowTo backup __TOPDIR__?

2009-08-05 19:02:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] HowTo backup __TOPDIR__?
From: Thomas Birnthaler <tb AT ostc DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 00:40:37 +0200
> What is the best way to "syncronize" __TOPDIR__ to another location?
> As I found in many messages, rsync isn't possible because of
> expensive memory usage for the hardlinks.
Since version 3.0.0 (protocol 3 on both ends) rsync uses an "incremental" mode to generate and compare the file lists on both sides. So memory usage decreased a lot, because just a small part of the list is in memory all the time. But the massive hardlink usage of BackupPC causes very slow copying of the whole structure, because link creation on any filesystem seems to be a very expensive task (locks?) ...

> In my opinion dd or cp -a isn't possible too because they would copy
> all the data. That would consume to much time if I syncronize the
> locations on a daily basis.
Any other tool has the same time consumption if it keeps hardlinks
("cp" e.g. does that with option "-l").

A somehow "lazy" solution would be to just copy the "pool"-Files (hashes as file names) by "rsync" and create a "tar" archive of the "pc" directory. The time consuming process of link creation is then deferred to the restore case (which may never be needed).

Thomas
--
OSTC Open Source Training and Consulting GmbH / HRB Nuernberg 20032
tel +49 911-3474544 / fax +49 911-1806277 / http://www.ostc.de