BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Need to speed up tar method

2009-07-01 11:07:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Need to speed up tar method
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 11:00:34 -0400
error403 wrote at about 09:04:29 -0400 on Wednesday, July 1, 2009:

 > Hello,
 >
 > I had troubles using the rsync(d) method (crashed my server) so I used a
 > workaround: create a sshfs mount and "locally" backup its files.  To prevent
 > empty backups, I changed the ping command to ssh user@hostname whoami to
 > emulate a response if successful, or return no ping if not connected. I
 > figured that out the long way because I had a few empty backups (the
 > mounting directory was empty).

I still think you need to figure out why 'rsync' is crashing your
server. Rsync/rsyncd is generally faster, more efficient, and more robust
than the tar method.

Also rsync is pretty darn well tested and stable so if it is crashing
"your server" there may well be something else more fundamentally
broken. Even if rsync runs out of memory, it should still fail
gracefully and not crash the server.