BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-03 15:27:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 14:14:55 -0500
Holger Parplies wrote:

>> I'm not sure why you would need any other format change - and if you had
>> a tool to reconstruct the pool links you could switch back if you wanted -
>> at some cost in time and CPU.
>
> Here we are back at the original problem. If you have a tool to do that, you
> can also copy a pool without handling hardlinks and then re-establish them
> (yes, I know, supposing you have enough space). And that *is* feasible right
> now, it just comes at a significant cost, because you need to hash and link
> every single file in every pc/ directory. For small amounts of data, you won't
> mind doing that, but then, for small amounts of data, you don't need to,
> because 'rsync -H'/'cp -d' will simply work.

But because of the nature of the problem, rsync and cp can't do a small
piece at a time - and their views of the inodes in question are only
valid as long as none change before the run completes.  A tool that
relinks individual files can plug away at it for as long as it takes -
although I suppose it has to be aware of the nightly run. You probably
have the whole blackout window with not much else to do anyway.