BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula

2009-05-25 11:45:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:40:52 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote:
>> I have one system where I do backups of backuppc to tape for
>> disaster recover. Here's the system I use:
>> - Stop backuppc to quiesce the filesystem. LVM snapshots are
>> not sufficient
>>   for this, because the disk load gets too high, data flow
>> rate gets too low,
>>   and the tape starts to 'shoeshine'.
>> - Dump /var/lib/backuppc to tape with 'tar'. I have a 500GB
>> tape drive,
>>   which is sufficient to store the backuppc data from that machine.
>> - In case you're curious, the tar command I use is:
>> tar -cv --totals --exclude-from=$EXCLUDEFILE -f /dev/st0
>> /var/lib/backuppc/
>> 2>&1 > $LOGFILE
>> - Restart backuppc.
>
> Wow, thanks.
> I do not have tape drives available, but would it also work if I'd be
> doing this same procedure onto an external USB HDD?

Yes, but you have to test a restore of a typically-sized archive before
deciding that this method is suitable for your purpose. While it may
take a few hours or less to make the tar copy, it will likely take at
least a few days to restore a usable disk copy will all the hardlinks.

On the other hand, if your external disk has as much space as the live
partition, you can stop backuppc, unmount the partition, and image-copy
to a matching partition on the external drive and have a copy that is
directly usable.