BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-22 13:59:21
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT theingots DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 19:53:32 +0200
Hello,

I just started taking a look at BackupPC. It looks really good.

I'm looking for a backup solution for a home network (two Linux PCs). My
current solution is a simple script using rsync and hard links to create
the appearance of daily backups. What got my attention about BackupPC is
that it seems to do roughly the same thing, but with some extra features
like compression. So now I have a few questions:

1) Does BackupPC detect file corruption? The way I deal with file
corruption is that once a week I give rsync the --check flag.

2) To backup my wife's computer I run "rsync -e ssh". Is that what
BackupPC does?

3) My wife's computer is a dual-boot with Windows, so her Linux is
"usually but not always" on. My own computer is a laptop, and it is
"usually but not always" connected. The backup media is an external
disk, so it is "usually but not always" plugged in. Can BackupPC handle
this setup?

The way my current script works, I run the following every 2 hours:

if [ -d /my/external/disk ]; then
     cd /my/external/disk
     rsync -a -e ssh <wifes-computer> latest
     if [ ! -d $TODAY ]; then
         cp -al latest $TODAY
     fi
fi

So, basically, I sync whenever I can reach both the external disk and
wifey's computer. And once a day I make a backup using hard links.

Can BackupPC do something similar to solve the problem of the computers,
the server and even the backup media not being always available?

Thanks for the help.

Daniel