BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Connecting with SSH over another host

2009-04-28 12:58:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Connecting with SSH over another host
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 02:51:19 +1000

Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> it's me again! ;-)
>
> My backups run fine, but now I have a remote situation where I had to
> install the SSH server on server A and the cwRsync service on server B
> (the actual fileserver I want to backup from).
>
> Server A = 10.0.0.252
> Server B = 10.0.0.254
>
> I opened port 22 on my NAT to 10.0.0.252.
>
> I want to backup using ssh tunnel like I'm doing with my other hosts.
> What do you think I'll have to change?
>
> Actually the tunnel is opened like:
>
> ssh -fC administrator AT remotehost DOT com -L 8876:localhost:873 sleep 20
>
> The above command line is valid while backing up the "remotehost.com",
> or better: the same PC that runs sshd *and* rsyncd. Also, the
> "ClientNameAlias" is "localhost" actually.
>
> I guess I have to change both "ClientNameAlias" *and* the
> 8876:localhost:873, or am I wrong?
>
> I tried with:
>
> ssh -fC administrator AT remotehost DOT com -L 8876:10.0.0.254:873 sleep 20
>
> and
>
> "ClientNameAlias" = 10.0.0.254
>
> But didn't succeed: I always get "no ping" error.
>
> Where am I going wrong?
You  need to leave the ClientNameAlias = localhost

It works like this:

ssh -fC administrator AT remotehost DOT com -L 8876:10.0.0.254:873 sleep 20

1) the ssh tunnel is created between localhost on port 8876 (where
localhost is implied not specified. ie localhost is forced, because
that is where you ran the command (ssh)) and 10.0.0.254:873 relative
to remotehost.com

2) backuppc then connects to clientnamealias on the configured port
number (should be 8876 in this example).

Hope this makes it more obvious

Regards,
Adam