BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Permission query

2009-04-17 03:03:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Permission query
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Alex Schaft <alexs AT quicksoftware.co DOT za>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 23:56:41 -0700
Alex writes:

> [root@qsbackup f%2f]# pwd
> /opt/backuppc/files/pc/mail/184/f%2f
> [root@qsbackup f%2f]# ll
> total 16
> -rw-r-----  3 backuppc backuppc   26 Apr 17 05:04 attrib
> drwxr-x---  5 backuppc backuppc 4096 Apr 17 06:00 fetc
> drwxr-x---  3 backuppc backuppc 4096 Apr 17 06:03 fhome
> drwxr-x---  6 backuppc backuppc 4096 Apr 17 06:00 froot

This is normal and correct.

The meta data (permissions, ownership, mtime etc) are stored in a
seperate file (the attrib file, one per directory).  It can't be
stored with the file (as on the client) because of pooling, and also
some meta data values (eg: owned by root, or a block or character
special file) can't be created unless you are root.

For security reasons files are stored using $Conf{UmaskMode},
which by default disables world read/write permissions.

If you browse the directory using the web interface you should
see the right permissions.

As Les points out, you need to use the -p and --numeric-owner
options with tar when you restore files (extracting).  That
doesn't apply to when you are doing a backup (creating an
archive of the client).

> I'm just investigating a difference in TarClientCmd that I'm not sure if that
> could cause it
>
> Default:
> $Conf{TarClientCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -n -l root $host env LC_ALL=C $tarPath
> -c -v -f - -C $share Name+ --totals';
>
> Overridden:
> $Conf{TarClientCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -n -l root $host $tarPath -c -v -f - -C
> $shareName+ --totals';

Removing the env LC_ALL=C should be ok so long as your client has
a locale of C.

Craig