BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Translating BackupPc to another language

2009-04-12 12:52:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Translating BackupPc to another language
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Fatih Arslan <ftharsln AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 09:48:28 -0700
Fatih writes:

> I want to translate BackupPc's CGI and the installation part from
> English to Turkish.
> How can i do this ? Is there anyone who is responsible for this kind
> work ? Who can me give some advice where i could begin start

You should look in lib/BackupPC/Lang.  Each language has its own
file.  You can copy copy en.pm (English) to tr.pm (Turkish) and
then edit it with the translation of each string.  Don't change
any of the html or variable names prefixed by "$" - just the
English text.

To test your translation set $Conf{Language} to 'tr'.  You also should
add 'tr' to the definition of Language in lib/BackupPC/Config/Meta.pm
so that choice is displayed in the CGI interface.  The new file name
also has to be added to makeDist in CVS, which I can do.  The makeDist
script does a lot of consistency checking of the language files, so it
would be good if you could run that too.

Before you start you should be sure you are committed to support
the translation updates for each new version.  While the on-going
work is actually very small, each new translation means there is
an increasing amount of work when I change the CGI interface to
get everyone to update their translations.  In fact, two of the
language files - Spanish and Portuguese-Brazilian - still have
English snippets prefixed with "ENG". It would be great if any
fluent list member can send me diffs for those strings.

Craig