BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] initial backup seems to loop again and again

2009-04-06 07:36:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] initial backup seems to loop again and again
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 13:23:49 +0200
Hi,

Matthias Meyer wrote on 2009-04-01 20:58:55 +0200 [[BackupPC-users] initial
backup seems to loop again and again]:

> I've a problem with the initial backup of a vista client, called "myclient".
> This client ist connected over internet with an 1Mbit/s upload bandwidth and
> have
> 100GB of storage to backup.

that makes something like 9.5 days (in the best case) to complete the backup.

> Unfortunately the internet connection will be interupted each night for 5
> minutes.
> [...]
> Whats happening theire?
> How to continue an interrupted backup?

I can't really tell you. An interrupted backup should be continued (provided
it is retried within the PartialAgeMax window (3 days by default). As I
understand it, the again interrupted result would constitute a new partial, so
the 3 day period would restart with every new (successful) partial backup.

> [...]
> In the clients logfile I found out that the file "file1" will be saved after
> 16 hours in the first run and after 12h, 8h, 6h again in the following runs.

This sounds like a changing file (meaning the contents would *need* to be
transferred again each time), and it seems to be getting transferred earlier
each time (contrary to your observation that there is no overall progress).
Also keep in mind that the last partially transferred file is removed (and not
reused). If you've got a huge file somewhere, that might explain the lack of
progress.

All of that said, successful full backups are much better than relying on
partials to eventually complete. I would suggest to either think of a way to
do the first backup locally (you could build a copy manually with rsync,
though that would obviously mean using up the full available bandwidth for
10 days, or ship a USB disk or 22 DVDs ...), or to start with a long exclude
list, limitting the backup scope to an amount of data that can be transferred,
and gradually remove excludes (so that each backup will be able to complete
successfully). If you choose the second option, do alternating full and
incremental backups to get the most out of your time window.

One thing you should think about first, though, is whether your bandwidth is
sufficient for the expected *changes* in your data. In the *best case*, you've
got 10.54 GB/day, though you probably shouldn't rely on being able to use more
than 9 GB/day. Exceeding that would also explain why your partials are not
making any progress. Do you need the link for anything except backup traffic?
Do you trust backups that regularly take many hours to complete?

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger