BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental Backup

2009-04-05 18:57:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental Backup
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 17:54:00 -0500
Holger Parplies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tino Schwarze wrote on 2009-03-26 18:21:53 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
> Incremental Backup]:
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:56:36PM -0400, kyeto wrote:
>>
>>> Ah ok,
>>> I have copied the files from an another folder.
>>>
>>> How can i tell to backuppc to check the create date of the file and not the
>>> modification date ?
>> As far as I know, you cannot. If you could, BackupPC would do it by
>> default.
>
> for the record: this is nonsense. You don't want to base incremental backups
> on the creation date of files. You want to back up files *changed* since the
> reference backup too, not *only newly created* ones. Even if smbclient's
> incremental mode supports it (which I doubt, because it makes no sense), you
> would end up losing much more than you gain.

On unix-like filesystems, file creation time is not stored.  The 'ctime'
  value is the 'inode change time' and is in fact what you should prefer
to base incrementals on because it will catch moved/renamed files and
owner/permission changes as well as content changes.  Since changing
modification time (mtime) is also an inode change, ctime can never be
earlier than mtime.   But in any case samba can only use the
modification time.

    lesmikeell AT gmail DOT com