BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and Windows/ Cygwin clients via ssh/ rsync

2009-02-16 18:57:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and Windows/ Cygwin clients via ssh/ rsync
From: royden yates <royden.yates AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 00:56:11 +0100
On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 13:57 -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> Cody Dunne wrote:
>
> > http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html
>
> Which states:
>
>     Regular rsync over SSH doesn't work between Linux and Windows/Cygwin
>     boxes because of a bug fixed in rsync 3.0
>

> On Debian 4, I see:
>
>     2009-02-16 13:37:56 root@p3450 ~
>     # rsync --version
>     rsync  version 2.6.9  protocol version 29
>     <snip>
>
>     2009-02-16 13:41:37 root@p3450 ~
>     # ssh -V
>     OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9etch3, OpenSSL 0.9.8c 05 Sep 2006
>
>     2009-02-16 13:57:13 root@p3450 ~
>     # cat /etc/debian_version
>     4.0
>

> On Cygwin, I see:
>
>     2009-02-16 13:40:44 dpchrist@p43400e ~
>     $ rsync --version
>     rsync  version 3.0.4  protocol version 30
>     <snip>
>
>     2009-02-16 13:40:50 dpchrist@p43400e ~
>     $ ssh -V
>     OpenSSH_5.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8j 07 Jan 2009
>

> So, it looks like the rsync and ssh binaries in Debian 4.0 are older
> versions than those on Cygwin.  Debian 5 has  ssh 5.1p1-5 and rsync
> 3.0.3-2:
>
>     http://packages.debian.org/lenny/openssh-client
>
>     http://packages.debian.org/lenny/rsync
>

> If I rebuild the box using Debian 5, should BackupPC work for Windows/
> Cygwin via ssh/ rsync?
>

> David

Concerning Backuppc and Windows systems, the issues pertained to the
interaction of Cygwin rsync < 3.0.0 and AFAIK Backuppc's perl
implementation of rsync. If issues remain with a cygwin rsync >= 3.0.0
then upgrading the rsync of the Backuppc server is not the solution as
Backuppc provides its own rsync.

There was a thread here a while back that noted that cygwin rsync v
3.0.3 appeared to solve the problems that plagued users before with
rsync over ssh. My testing confirms that this is so,  BUT that issues
remain. As others here have noted, large files mysteriously can still
cause hiccups and my experience shows that this can happen with both
cygwin rsync over ssh and with rsyncd over ssh tunnel.

I now want to transfer these troublesome directories to a *nix box to
see if I can replicate  the problems in a "native" environment.

Royden