BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how does backuppc handle DBs

2009-02-07 14:05:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how does backuppc handle DBs
From: Nick Smith <nick.smith79 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 14:03:19 -0500
Well please correct me if my thinking is not correct.

im using volume shadow, which is suppose to be a way to backup in use
files without unmounting or corrupting them.

the volume shadow and backups are being done after hours at a time
when no one is logged on and making any changes to the database.

so from what ive read and understand this is a safe way to backup sql
and exchange.

i could edit the pre/post scripts that launches the volume shadow to
unmount the sql and exchange dbs of you guys think that would be
a safer way.  it just adds a bit of complexity to a relatively easy
script. and i am no programmer, i thought i was lucky to get this far.

I do understand the fact that an untested backup is no backup at all,
i just need to figure out a good time to bring a doctors office down
thats two hours away to do the testing.

I am doing ony full backups with rsyncd over a site to site vpn
connection.  i think what you are saying is that rsync will do a
compare on the
original file and only transfer whats changed correct?  someone else
on here told me that repeated full backups do pretty much the same as
an incremental with a little more cpu overhead and slightly increased
disk usage, does that still stand as correct?

if it is actually only transmitting the changes in the db file, then i
could see how the backup was only taking 40mins.  i just dont
understand
why it tells me im backing up 10gigs.  unless its just telling me the
size of the file is 10gigs and its telling me its backed up.

thanks for the posts any other input would be much appreciated.