BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc cygwin rsync fails to write files to C drive.

2009-02-04 11:56:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc cygwin rsync fails to write files to C drive.
From: Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:53:21 -0500
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:24 AM, vnetrix
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
> yes rsync can write files to the root of the C: drive on the server.  The
> problem is that it will not write below the c:\windows\folder.  Have verified
> this since.  In the logs rsync says that it has written the files correctly
> but when you actually check what is in the folder after the restore.  The
> files have not been written.

So, you can use rsync from the command line of your backuppc server
and successfully write a file to the c:\windows\... directory.  If
this is true then I would make sure the files you think should be
restored are listed in the catalog (simply browse the backupc gui).
If this is not true, then I suspect the account you have setup for the
backuppc service doesn't have permission to write to this directory.
You should be able to look at the advanced security tab under windows
explorer and see what "effective permissions" that service account has
to the c:\windows directory.  You can confirm the service account used
by looking in the "services" mmc module (start->run->"mmc
services.msc").

> I think the problem may be in the perl module File::RsyncP as backuppc does
> not use the normal rsync binary internally.

Not sure I follow your reasoning for suspecting this.  The perl module
is only operating on the backup server side and interacts with rsync
on the client side for restores.  Unless the backup server side was
ignoring these files,  it shouldn't have any involvement in the actual
writing of the file.

--
Jonathan Craig