BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Designing a BackupPC install over a WAN - minimising Full backups

2009-01-20 21:10:38
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Designing a BackupPC install over a WAN - minimising Full backups
From: David Crisp <dcrisp AT cybersource.com DOT au>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:31:35 +1100
Hello,

I have been picking through the BackupPC documentation   and I havent
been able to find much on the topic I am interested in at this point.

I have a site with a Ubuntu  server installed at.   I have a second site
where we would like to install backuppc to provide incremental backups
of the linux server.

I will use rsync over SSH to carry the data,   The problem I am having
working out is if what I have planed will actually work.

If I perform a single full backup on site at the start of the
deployment,  then move the backuppc server to the remote site and then
tell it to perform only daily incrementals from now on,   is this going
create masses of network traffic?

Idealy I would love the system to be able to sit in place and make
regular incrementals of the data with the most minimal of network
traffic requried to backup the data.

If the above is not appropriate, How would I perform the sort of backup
I am looking for,  being mindfull that the WAN link is not high speed
(its an ADSL1 link) and so we really dont want to EVER have move large
amounts of data per night.  IE:  1GB a night may be just a little large...

Appologies if this question has been asked before and answered,    if
there is a link to the answer then I would love to see it!  Thanks for
your help!

Regards,
David Crisp