BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Choice of b/u drive

2009-01-05 11:51:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Choice of b/u drive
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 10:49:36 -0600
colinc wrote:
> Thanks Chris,
>
> Is USB 2 speed really an issue for b/u?

It depends on the size of your backup runs, of course.

> After the initial b/u [and it is all in background] there is not a lot of
> data moving about and I've certainly had no problem with my existing Firewire
> 400 drive which is probably not as fast as USB2.

Even though the wire xfer speed of usb2 matches FW, in practice there is
more CPU overhead and you probably won't match the disk throughput.  And
neither will match esata.

> I am thinking of USB as Apple seem to be loosing enthusiasm for FW [odd as I
> think they more or less invented it]! I shall be using a handful of 5m cables
> with built-in boosters and I think that I have to choose between a Western
> Digital 2TB drive with it's own RAID firmware or use Apple's DiskUtility
> which will do it with 2 x 1TBs.

I interpreted Apple's move of dropping FW on the low end laptops as a
means of forcing serious users to buy the more expensive pro models, not
that it is going to go away.