BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Status of fuse for viewing backuppc backups

2008-12-30 11:14:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status of fuse for viewing backuppc backups
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:11:37 -0600
On 12/29 08:54 , Jon Craig wrote:
> The POC work I did on a FUSE interface for BackupPC never got to a
> point that was useful / releasable.  What I quickly identified was
> that there were two approaches to doing a FUSE interface.  The first
> was an interface that provided a fileystem layout over top of BackupPC
> (which is what I did) to provide fileystem type access to the backup
> catalog via BackupPC API.

Could you explain what this offers over the existing setup? It seems pretty
simple to me, to go to
/var/lib/backuppc/pc/<hostname>/<backupnumber>/fpath/fto/ffile.

Tho obviously there's some room for improvement. :)

- Automatic uncompression of compressed files?
- Correct ownership/permissons of files?
- More 'normal' paths to the files (i.e. no 'f' at the beginning of the
  words)?
- Dates as well as backup numbers?

I'm curious what you did with this. I might find such a thing convenient
every now and then.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator