BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Specifying DHCP client addresses

2008-12-23 12:37:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Specifying DHCP client addresses
From: Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms AT unige DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:34:38 +0100
 > I think you misunderstood this. Nmblookup runs on the backuppc server,
 > not each client, and it communicates with the native windows name
 > resolution protocol

When I run nmblookup on the server, I expect a response to the broadcast
from clients, and in particular from Linux clients (which do not have
native windows name resolution). If I got it right, the nmbd daemon can
do that job, and this daemon is packaged into the samba-server.

I tried: after installing the samba-server and adjusting the firewall
correspondingly I get the responses with the name-to-address mapping.
Did I misinterpret how it works?

Yes, I will have a look at installing a name server. But I wonder
whether a 10-line script (probably fewer lines) for occasionally
adjusting /etc/hosts is not much simpler.