BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Permission denied during backup

2008-12-19 08:02:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Permission denied during backup
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:59:57 +0200
Glassfox wrote:

> Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
>> On 12/18 03:56 , Glassfox wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, I want to backup my localhost completely and just backup the root
>>> folder with some excludes (proc, sys, media and backuppc pool folder).
>>> Backup was successful, but if I look at the error log file there are a lot
>>> of "Permission denied" errors for the home folders, some files in the
>>> /root/ folder and some other folders. What is the best way to get also all
>>> this files/folders backuped?
>>>
>> In your /etc/backuppc/localhost.pl, use something like this (assuming you're
>> using tar for your local backup):
>>
>> $Conf{TarClientCmd} = '/usr/bin/env LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/sudo $tarPath -c -v -f
>> - -C $shareName'
>> . ' --totals';
>>

> Thanks guys, and sorry: I'm using rsync :( What is the best solution for
> this? And yes, I'm running backuppc as a normal user and not as root.

Did you try the docs I referred? Or is the case that you don't have root
access at all, in other words you are not able to edit /etc/sudoers?

File permissions work that way - you either need to be root or need to
set access to the files (see 'man chown' and 'man chmod'). For secret
files, such as cryptographic keys, it is not at all feasible to use
loose permissions, which again brings us back to the need for root access.

Hope this helps,
Johan