BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborts without apparent reason

2008-10-30 06:12:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborts without apparent reason
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Anian Wurzenberger <a.wurzenberger AT transact-gmbh DOT de>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:09:25 +0100
Hi,

Anian Wurzenberger wrote on 2008-10-30 09:16:18 +0100 [[BackupPC-users] Backup
aborts without apparent reason]:
> Hi people,
> I´m getting some strange Error on Fedora 6 (Linux fileserver
> 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6 #1 SMP Fri Apr 27 18:53:15 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux) with BackupPC-3.1.0 . [...] I am getting "Backup aborted ()".
> Also there is a permission error in the global log which shouldn´t be there,
> because the folder already exists and permissions of the folder are even 777
> (of course only for testing purposes).
> [...]
> Part of the global Log:
> [...]
> 2008-09-30 05:00:08 Running BackupPC_link somepc (pid=19717)
> 2008-09-30 05:00:08 somepc: mkdir /data/mirrored/mlb/\!Backup/BackupPC:
> Permission denied at /usr/local/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 899

I don't know about the "Backup aborted", but for mkpath failing I would
suspect misquoting the exclamation mark in the path to your TopDir to be
responsible. I can't really trace it down right now, but I tend to wonder why
anyone would put shell metacharacters in their TopDir - it's asking for
trouble, successfully as it appears. The same applies to long lines in emails
and missing line breaks in quoted log file excerpts ;-).

Of course any path for TopDir *should* work, as long as the OS accepts it, but
there are choices more likely to trigger bugs than others ...

I don't know if the "Backup aborted" is related to your choice of TopDir as
well. Are you backing up more than one host? Could you try out things like
changing the XferMethod or your TopDir?

Regards,
Holger