BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Little thoughts to share - RSYNC MAC SSH

2008-10-28 20:03:50
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Little thoughts to share - RSYNC MAC SSH
From: "Pedro M. S. Oliveira" <pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:01:30 +0000
Hi all!

For some time I had trouble with rsync and ssh.
My problem was that the ssh connection would stop after a few seconds
with this error in backuppc log:

Got fatal error during xfer (fileListReceive failed)

and in the /var/log/messages:

Disconnecting: Corrupted MAC on input.

After searching for a while and doing some digging i found that i had
files that would cause ssh to exit, usually you can exit ssh with "~."
and in fact i had files with that name and content.
what i did on backuppc config page was:
on the main configuration editor, xfer:
RsyncClientCmd
$sshPath  -q -x -l root $host $rsyncPath $argList+
changed to
$sshPath -e none -q -x -l root $host $rsyncPath $argList+
RsyncClientRestoreCmd
$sshPath -q -x -l root $host $rsyncPath $argList+
changed to
$sshPath -e none -q -x -l root $host $rsyncPath $argList+

this will avoid escape caracters.

what do you guys think on putting this by default on the next release?

cheers,
Pedro