BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] FullKeepCnt/IncrKeepCnt on a per share/volume basis?

2008-10-09 16:46:07
Subject: [BackupPC-users] FullKeepCnt/IncrKeepCnt on a per share/volume basis?
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 20:43:28 +0000
Hi all:

I have a couple of systems with shares (/var/bak) that generate 12GB
of data/day.  the usual retention schedule keeps a:

  daily backup for 2 weeks,
  weekly backups for 4 weeks,
  monthly backups for 5 months

For this /var/bak data we really don't need 2 weeks of daily
backups. One week is fine, but other data on the system does need this
2 week buffer.

Not knowing the innards of BackupPC, one thought is to allow

  IncrKeepCnt

to take an associative array structure so I could specify:

  $Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = {
    "*" => 12,
    "/var/bak" => 6,
  };

which would expire the incrementals of the /var/bak share more
quickly.

I would expect that IncrKeepCnt and FullKeepCnt would operate
identically in this case allows different retention periods for
different shared/volumes. However I noticed that IncrKeepCnt doesn't
support an array like FullKeepCnt. Is there some fundamental reason
for this?

In any case using the current implementation, will this work?

 create a new host and use the ClientNameAlias to point to the
   actual host.

 /var/bak is the only share backed up using the new host and it's
    FullKeepCnt and IncrKeepCnt are set appropriately.

Comments?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

--
                                -- rouilj