BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BUG with files of form '-i'

2008-10-06 14:01:19
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BUG with files of form '-i'
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 15:42:30 -0400
I add an (empty) file named '-i' in several of my key Linux
directories to prevent inadvertent "rm *" calamities.

However, BackupPC doesn't seem to like this, giving me error messages
of form:
   Can't open /var/lib/BackupPC//pc/mycomputer/new/f%2fetc/f-i for empty
   output\n

Then, when I look in the backup directory
   /var/lib/BackupPC.jnew.clean/pc/mycomputer/0/f%2fetc
I cannot find the file '-i' backed up (though everything else is ok).

I am using the 'rsync' transfer method over NFS.

Note when I manually run a similar  rsync statement from the console,
there are no problems.

sudo -u backuppc rsync -vx  --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links
--hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --omit-dir-times
root@mycomputer:/etc/ /var/lib/BackupPC/pc/mycomputer/temp
receiving file list ... done
-i
.pwd.lock
DIR_COLORS
DIR_COLORS.xterm
Trolltech.conf
a2ps-site.cfg
a2ps.cfg
adjtime
aliases
aliases.db
aliases.jnew
aliases.jorig
anacrontab

So, I am wondering whether it is a "quoting" issue where somehow the
shell is interpreting the '-' rather than seeing it as part of the filename.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!