BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] corrupted files and never-ending backups

2008-10-06 04:54:41
Subject: [BackupPC-users] corrupted files and never-ending backups
From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo AT wpkg DOT org>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 10:47:52 +0200
To date, for me, the most serious issue with BackupPC are never-ending
backups, caused by corrupted files.

I'm not sure what causes file corruption though (server crash, broken
network connection, interrupted backup, killed backuppc process,
something else)?

When BackupPC makes a backup, and a previous full contains a corrupted
file, it often gets decompressed to a file which grows beyond any limits
(i.e., 45 GB, until interrupted).

When we however try to decompress it by hand, we can see an error:

# BackupPC_zcat < f2008-01-01-full.sql > uncompress
BackupPC_zcat: can't uncompress stdin

# BackupPC_zcat < f2008-04-01-full.sql > uncompress
BackupPC_zcat: can't uncompress stdin

It's easiest to spot with big files.

The issue is a problem as it breaks backup for a given host until a
broken file is removed manually.

Is there a workaround to that?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski