BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] IP address

2008-10-04 20:27:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] IP address
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 14:56:58 -0500
Gary Vassalotti wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ok, this is not directly a backuppc problem, but I can't find an answer
> anywhere... My backuppc will not run because when it pings the other
> computers on the network it does not receive the correct ip for the netbios
> name.
>
> For example, I have one machine named 'gary' with a static ip of
> 192.168.123.200 but if you ping 'gary' you get an address of 65.xxx.xxx.xxx
> (it is a verizon ip address, I believe, I did not copy the whole address
> here, that is not relavant).
>
> I also get wrong ip addresses for computers that have DHCP enabled
> (non-static ip addresses).  I am running Win XP on three machines (one is a
> dual boot w/Mandriva 2008.1), Win 2000 on one, Mandrivia Linux on one (not
> the dual boot machine) with a USR robotics wireless router.  DSL is from
> verizon.
>
> I have searched the net and have not had much luck.  I have reset the
> router, cleared hosts files, and have issued DNS flush  and reconnect
> commands on my windows machines with no changes.  I have also tried using
> rsync instead of just the samba share method, but still no change.
>
> Any ideas??

You probably have some outside service providing DNS for your domain
with the relevant public addresses while the machines sit behind a NAT
router and need to refer to each other with private addresses.  The
generic solution is to add your own DNS server(s) on the private side
that all of your LAN machines use.  Configure it as primary for your
domain and for the reverse lookups of your private address ranges - but
don't register it as a public server.  That way outside lookups will get
the usable public addresses only, but inside you will see the whole
private range.  If that's too much trouble, just add the entries you
need for backuppc to work in it's /etc/hosts file.   The quick fix for
dhcp-assigned addresses is to configure the dhcp server to always give
the same IP to the same MAC addresses.  Even cheap home routers normally
have this as a setup option.