BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_link problems

2008-10-04 15:39:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_link problems
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Edward Blum <edward.blum AT livestockts DOT com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 06:35:32 +0200
Hi,

Edward Blum wrote on 2008-09-26 09:14:59 +0100 [[BackupPC-users] BackupPC_link
problems]:
> I'm currently using backuppc to back up 1.2 TB of data on host called
> turbotHOST using the rsyncd sitting on a linux box. The great news is
> that the backup completes and I can browse it, but looking in the status
> of the server. It displays that the job is running evening after a day,
> surely the backuppc_link process isn't still working?

while a day does sound rather long, BackupPC_link potentially has a lot of
work to do. For the first backup, it will need to look at *every* file in
the backup and find out if there is a match in the pool. If you have many
identical files (or files with identical hashes), that will involve a lot
of file comparisons. Finally, the files need to be linked into the pool,
which involves random accesses to a lot of directories. Incorrect mount
options could slow all of this down.

'ps' can tell you if BackupPC_link is actually still running.

How many files have you got? How much memory? Did it finish in the mean time?
How long did it take? How long did the *backup* take? What FS/hardware is the
pool on? What mount options are you using?

Regards,
Holger

Disclaimer:

In case I was not the intended recipient(s) of the e-mail I am replying to,
I did not read the e-mail in question. I deleted it and then returned it to
the original sender. I did not even read the disclaimer telling me to do so.
The contents of this e-mail are not sponsored by Microsoft, not even if stated
below, maybe, or sometimes.