BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] wrap around value question

2008-10-04 13:11:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] wrap around value question
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 11:10:11 -0600
I dont believe this is constrained to a certain number of digits.  because of that I think that the only limitations would be that number of characters available for directory names on the platform you are using.  if you are running a single backup per day and never deleting any old incremental or full backups you would be able to run for 10 years and only be up to ~3650.  that just 4 characters.  in fact you can get 27 years out of 4 digits and 274 years out of 5 digits.

I would think that you would run into a max-directories on a filesystem limit and a file space limit long before then.