BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie: using a storage server different from BackupPC server

2008-09-28 14:03:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie: using a storage server different from BackupPC server
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:59:12 -0500
Andrei Stebakov wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've installed BackupPC on my Ubuntu server, but its hard drives have
> relatively small capacity so I'd rather use my Windows machines to put the
> backups on.
> Is it possible to move the storage media from /var/lib/backuppc from local
> machine to some remote Windows machine?

The archive filesystem must support unix-style hardlinks for the pooling
feature to work.  Theoretically you might be able to install windows
services-for-unix, export a directory via NFS, and mount that as your
archive filesystem but I don't think anyone has gotten satisfactory
performance that way.  For a small setup you might be able to use the
free VMware server on the windows box with the backuppc server running
as a guest.  Or, depending on your use for the windows boxes perhaps you
could run windows under VMware to give Linux the native speed - or
dual-boot to let backuppc run at night.

Iscsi would be the obvious solution here but I think the software is
expensive on the windows side.  Buying a pair of SATA disks that you can
run in raid1 on the linux box is probably the cheapest approach with
good performance.