BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Linux client with ssh sudo rsync and requiretty

2008-09-25 11:41:23
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Linux client with ssh sudo rsync and requiretty
From: Jeff Siddall <news AT siddall DOT name>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:38:27 -0400
I am having a problem getting linux clients to backup using ssh with
sudo and requiretty to run rsync.  The RsyncClientCmd I am using is:

$sshPath -q -x -t -t -l backuppcclient $host sudo $rsyncPath $argList+

The issue seems to be the [now default] sudo "requiretty" option from
the sudoers file:

# Disable "ssh hostname sudo <cmd>", because it will show the password
in clear.
#         You have to run "ssh -t hostname sudo <cmd>".
Defaults    requiretty

Even with the ssh -t -t options to force a tty to be allocated
(and thus pass the sudo requirement for a tty) the rsync fails with
an tcgetattr error:

Got remote protocol 1701274484
Fatal error (bad version): tcgetattr: Invalid argument

If I remover  the "-t -t" options and comment the requiretty setting in
the sudoers file the backups work fine.  However, that involves
disabling a security feature and changing the default sudoers file on
all clients.  Neither of those are things I particularly want.

Is there any way to get backuppc to work with sudo and requiretty?

Jeff