BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Local rsync backup aborts randomly

2008-09-18 06:33:37
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Local rsync backup aborts randomly
From: Thomas Karcher <thkarcher AT gmx DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:33:24 +0200
Hi folks,

I have a very strange behaviour with BackupPC on a XEN VM instance with
SuSE 10.3 x86_64. BackupPC is configured to back up some local
directories with sudo rsync. The capacity of these directories is about
45 GB.

No matter whether I let BackupPCd start the backup or I do it manually,
sooner or later the backup is aborted, strangely almost never at the
same time or file to backup or even with the same error message. Some
examples:

Illegal division by zero
at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Compress/Base/Common.pm line 621.
(after 17m34.737s)

Remote[1]: Invalid remainder length 50176 [sender]
Remote[1]: rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at io.c(960)
[sender=2.6.9]
(after 18m40.362s)

Use of uninitialized value in join or string
at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/IO/Compress/Base/Common.pm line 660.
Compress::Zlib::inflateInit: unknown key value(s)
at /usr/local/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/FileZIO.pm line 154
(after 16m45.045s)

Can't call method "isCached" on an undefined value
at /usr/local/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/Xfer/RsyncFileIO.pm line 165.
(after 69m9.780s)

This is just an excerpt, I have a few more.

I searched the BackupPC log files for hints about it, but I didn't find
anything useful.

A RAM problem can be almost certainly eliminated since I moved the VM to
a different host machine, and the problem(s) persist.

The same BackupPC installation is also backing up two Windows machines
via smb, one with about 1 GB and the other with about 18 GB of data, and
it does this just fine.

Any help about these apparently random aborts is very much
appreciated ... thank you!

Thomas