BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] fsck of /var/lib/backuppc

2008-09-08 15:20:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] fsck of /var/lib/backuppc
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:18:36 +0200
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2008-09-08 12:40:38 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] fsck of
/var/lib/backuppc]:
> Rob Owens wrote:
> >
> > My concern was that if a file got corrupted, would BackupPC notice or
> > would it allow new files to be hardlinked to the corrupted files in the
> > pool.  I guess a full backup would take care of that, though.  Anyway,
> > thanks for the advice.  Looks like everything's working now.
>
> I think the hashed filename in the pool is just a quick initial check
> for possible matches and there is a full data comparison before new
> files would be replaced with links.

I can confirm that. It's not actually "replaced" for existing files in the
pool. If candidates exists, no file is created until it is determined that
none of them match. If one matches (which is determined by a full comparison)
a link is created. For identical *new* files in one (or multiple concurrent)
backup(s), i.e. files not already in the pool, several instances are created
and then made to links to one of them in the BackupPC_link phase. I believe
that would again entail a full comparison, but I'm not sure right now.

The point is: corruption of pool files will *not* affect future backups.

Regards,
Holger