BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate usage

2008-09-03 18:26:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarCreate usage
From: Vincent Fleuranceau <vincent AT mailoo DOT org>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 00:26:16 +0200
>> backuppc@xtr:/home/glandais$
>> /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -t -n -1 -h localhost -s
>> '/etc' /* > /mnt/server/restore/restore.etc.tar
>
> The shell is going to expand that /* to whatever it sees in the
> current
> running system, which probably isn't what you intended.  Was the
> backup
> only done of /etc or are you trying to only extract /etc?
>
>> I just want to extract backups into a file structure, no way?
>
> Yes, you just need the right command line.  I'd guess that you want a
> '.' instead of that /*.

I use this in a shell script (where of course $HOST and $SHARE are
defined):
cd /mnt/external_hd
sudo -u backuppc /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -n -1 -h
$HOST -s $SHARE / | tar xf -

where $SHARE is the name of the share exactly as it appears in the
host's configuration file, in the $Conf{TarShareName},
$Conf{RsyncShareName} or $Conf{SmbShareName} variable.

In fact, don't see $SHARE as an actual directory but as a "root" or
"mount point" instead.

And in my example, the trailing / is a directory and means "top
directory relative to $SHARE".

So, if you have:
$Conf{TarShareName} = ['/'];

To extract /etc, you need to execute:
BackupPC_tarCreate -n -1 -h $HOST -s '/' /etc | > /mnt/server/restore/
restore.etc.tar

And if you have:
$Conf{TarShareName} = ['/etc'];

To extract /etc, you need to execute:
BackupPC_tarCreate -n -1 -h $HOST -s '/etc' / | > /mnt/server/restore/
restore.etc.tar

I don't use tar, so I must be wrong but this is how I see it.

-- Vincent