BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Email problems

2008-08-28 18:47:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Email problems
From: Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:47:13 -0800
Les Mikesell wrote:
> Matthew G. Ayres wrote:
>
>> Thanks Les no I do not see any logs and I can send email from the
>> command line I if I run the. I checked the maillog and see the messages
>>
>> Aug 28 01:00:04 matt-pc sendmail[15653]: m7S504bk015652:
>> to=matt AT mandtayres DOT net, ctladdr=<[email protected]>
>> (495/491), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=31037,
>> relay=mandtayres.net. [207.255.188.178], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (
>> <[email protected]> Queued mail for
>> delivery)
>>

> That says it is queued - i.e. accepted by sendmail for delivery.

Specifically it was accepted for delivery by the mail transfer agent
(MTA) at 207.255.188.178 (mandtayres.net), which is set up as the
server's relay (but testing shows it's not an open relay) and likely is
not be the BackupPC host.  207.255.188.178 is stating that *it* has
queued the mail for delivery.

> There
> should be another entry for the delivery step - do you have a sendmail
> daemon running?

The Sendmail daemon is running, as it is what sent the mail on to the
relay host.

>   On a RedHat-like system this would be 'service sendmail
> restart'.  Also, most servers won't accept a sender with an unresolvable
> domain so if this needs to go somewhere else you may need to fake one.

This is likely where the problem lies, and should be looked into further.

> Do you have any smtp email infrastructure at all?

Chris