BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] SELinux issue with BackupPC 3.1.0 on Fedora 6

2008-07-30 07:50:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] SELinux issue with BackupPC 3.1.0 on Fedora 6
From: Johan Cwiklinski <mailings AT x-tnd DOT be>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:50:05 +0200
Hi,

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) a écrit :
> Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
>

>> Hi.  I am trying to get BackupPC working on a Fedora Core 6 server.
>>
>> I installed BackupPC with "yum install backuppc" and "yum install
>> httpd".
>>
>> But when I fire up the Web interface, it says
>>
>>       Error: Unable to connect to BackupPC server
>>

> I guess you didn't start the backuppc daemon. Try 'service backuppc
> start'.
>

>> And I have an SE Linux error message:
>>
>> avc:  denied  { write } for  pid=5120 comm="perl5.8.8"
>> name="BackupPC.sock" dev=dm-0 ino=56393744
>> scontext=user_u:system_r:httpd_t:s0
>> tcontext=user_u:object_r:var_log_t:s0 tclass=sock_file
>>
>> If I turn off SE Linux, BackupPC works fine.   But per our policy,
>> this server must have SE Linux turned on.
>>
>> How to make this work, please?

Indeed, that's an SELinux related problem.

Problem here is :
1- fc6 is no longer supported
2- (the most important one) BackupPC's version shipped with FC6 is
probably 2.x series, I've implemented SELinux polivy for BackupPC
starting at 3.x ; so path are differents, etc, etc, etc.

As I've alredy said on the BackupPC's mailing list, you've got (imo) tow
options :
1- upgrade to F-8 or F-9
2- use audit2allow to build your own policy module

Anyways, I do not thing using an old BackupPC version is a good thing.

> I guess you'd need to ask the Fedora Project, but I don't think
> they'll respond to bug reports about releases that reached end of life
> last year.
>
> Nils Breunese.

Regards,
Johan (Fedora's BackupPC maintainer)