BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Fatal error during xfer

2008-07-28 22:43:01
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Fatal error during xfer
From: Steve Blackwell <zephod AT cfl.rr DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:42:42 -0400
I just installed BackupPC and I started by attempting to backup just my
local machine which is also the BackupPC server.

Since this is a local machine I don't need ssh so I set my TarClientCmd
to "$tarPath -c -v -f - -C $shareName+ --totals". This worked OK but
some directories were not backed up because the user, backuppc, doesn't
have root privileges. Next I set up sudo to allow backuppc to run tar
as root. I su'd to backuppc to test and it worked fine. My new
TarClientCmd is "sudo $tarPath -c -v -f - -C $shareName+ --totals".

The problem is that when backuppc runs a backup at the schedules time,
I get this error:

Exec failed for sudo /bin/tar -c -v -f - -C / --totals
--newer=2008-07-27\ 17:56:09 .
tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp,
0 filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal
Got fatal error during xfer (Exec failed for sudo /bin/tar -c -v -f
- -C / --totals --newer=2008-07-27\ 17:56:09 .)
Backup aborted (Exec failed for id; sudo /bin/tar -c -v -f
- -C / --totals --newer=2008-07-27\ 17:56:09 .)

Any suggestions.