BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Authentication and data transfer security: rsyncd vs. samba vs. rsync over SSH

2008-07-25 05:40:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Authentication and data transfer security: rsyncd vs. samba vs. rsync over SSH
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:37:57 +0200
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 09:31:34AM +0200, Kurt Tunkko wrote:

> Questions
> =========
> 1) Regarding security: How does samba compares to rsyncd?

The authentication might be better, but AFAIK, packet contents are not
encrypted. Looking at the docs of smb.conf, there seems to support for
packet encryption and signing (see the "smb encrypt" option). You could
test by configuring a client to enforce encryption and see whether you
can still connect via smbclient. smbclient also supports a "-e" option
to enforce encryption, might be non-trivial to set up. You will get a
performance penalty here because packet sizes will be smaller.

> 2) If I choose a password that is long and complicates enough, I should
> be safe regarding brut-force attacks?

Security is always a tradeoff. What attackers are you expecting? How
valuable is the data? How many people might get access to it? How
difficult is it to sniff your network?

> Transfer via rsyncd will still be unencrypted :-/
>
> 3) If I tunnel rsyncd over SSH, will I get the low transfer rates like
> rsync+ssh on windows clients?

I don't know.

> 4) Is someone using rsync over SSH (Cygwin based) and get the same
> transfer speeds like rsyncd? Or will encryption always come with the
> cost of (much) lower transfer speeds?

Encryption should not slow down too much - modern processors are fast
enough, so the disk is still the bottleneck.

HTH,

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de