BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] The backup blog, deduplication

2008-07-24 10:53:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] The backup blog, deduplication
From: "Jon Craig" <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Ludovic Drolez" <ldrolez AT debian DOT org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:53:41 -0400
Well unless someone is working on a sub-file deduplication engine your
dedup rates are not gonna change.  The only thing you can do to pump
up your numbers is make every backup a full backup so your "source
data size" increments at a greater rate while your "stored data size"
only increases by the changed data. You can also backup more clients
with duplicate data (a 100 WinTel boxes with 8GB of duplicated OS /
box ought to do it).

Example:
Full backup = 100GB, Incremental [10% Rate of Change] = 10 GB

Full + Incremental:
1 Full + 6 Incremental yields 100 + 60 or 160 GB of  source and stored
data.  Your ratio is going to remain 1:1 unless you have duplicated
data on your system or your continously adding and removing the same
file.

7 Full Backups:
7 Full + 0 Incremental yields 700 + 0 or 700GB of source, but only
160GB of stored.  Your ratio is 4.375:1.  This assumes that for every
GB of change you removed the GB of source (ie turnover).

If your increasing the Full Amount by 10% each time (assumes you
delete nothing) then the numbers look like: 100 + 110 + 120 + 130 +
140 + 150 + 160 or 910 GB of source and 160 GB of stored.  This is a
ratio of 5.6875:1.  Actual results will be somewhere in between.

On 7/24/08, Ludovic Drolez <ldrolez AT debian DOT org> wrote:
> Hi !
>
>  Here's an interesting article about deduplication:
>

> http://thebackupblog.typepad.com/thebackupblog/2008/07/the-impact-of-deduplication-methodology-on-deduplication-ratios.html
>
>  This blog is the EMC Avamar's blog, and has some other interesting
>  articles. Deduplication rates are impressive, I hope we will reach
>  them one day with backuppc :-)
>
>  For the NetBackup puredisk blog, go to
>   https://forums.symantec.com/syment/blog?blog.id=NetBackup
>  And there's also Sepaton's blog : http://www.aboutrestore.com/
>
>  It seems that a war has begun in the deduplication world !
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  --
>  Ludovic Drolez.
>
>  http://www.palmopensource.com               - The PalmOS Open Source Portal