BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Prepare for the worst, Howto backup the back uppc-server

2008-07-24 09:26:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Prepare for the worst, Howto backup the back uppc-server
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:26:22 -0400
Kurt Tunkko wrote:

> Question
> ========
> Just to make sure: since AoE is not IP-based, does that mean that I
> can NOT connect the machine offering AoE to my server if I have
> something like a hub/switch between them?

It will work just fine through a hub or a switch.  The problem is that
the traffic is not routable, so a router or firewall will block it.

> Recovery plan:
> If the backuppc-server dies, I would use the spare RAID-disk to get
> the server back online - as far as I understand I need todo some
> manual stuff in order to get the RAID bootable again, since the
> bootloader will not installed on the spare drive?!

You just need to install the grub bootloader.  This can be done while
the drive is in the raid or later using the install CDs during the
recovery process.

> - probably a 2nd network connection between these two machines to keep
> the LAN free from extra traffic

Definitely a good idea.

> - probably less perfomance because disk activity will be transfered
> via network

Yep, but you can minimize this with a dedicated gigabit connection.

--
Bowie