BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] gluster

2008-07-11 11:30:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] gluster
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:29:58 -0500
dan wrote:
> if its the server that the write was going to, its lost.  if it is the
> remote server, then it will resync when it is back online.

Being able to recover from a complete loss of the local server at any
point in time (building disaster, software/operator error, etc.) is
pretty much the point of having the offsite copy.  If a crash mid-sync
leaves it unusable then you'd probably want a way to cycle between two
remote copies.

Maybe we are making this too complicated.  Has anyone tried unmounting
the archive partition, using something like partimage
http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page to copy to a local file, then
rsync'ing a copy offsite?  Partimage knows enough about filesystems to
only copy the used portions and is relatively fast.  If you absolutely
had to stay online during this operation you might be able to use LVM
snapshots or temporarily break a raid1 set for the time it takes for
this copy.   It would take a substantial amount of spare disk space to
make this work, though, and I don't know how well rsync would handle
finding the unmodified portions in the copy made by partimage (you
obviously wouldn't want to compress this).  Rsync normally builds a
duplicate file during its run and won't replace the original until it is
finished.  That means you'd need space for two copies at the remote site
but you avoid the window where your only good copy can be mangled.