BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync over ssh, non-efficient datatransfer

2008-05-26 17:19:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync over ssh, non-efficient datatransfer
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Rejo Zenger <backuppc-users AT subs.krikkit DOT nl>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 14:19:10 -0700
Rejo writes:

> Yes, there is at least a full backup. As described above, when I added
> the 30G of additional (and static) data, I can see a lot of traffic for
> a longer period of time. There were no errors or anything similar. Then,
> the next night, I can see exactly the same pattern in traffic. No
> errors. Third night, same story.

By default each incremental is level 1, so, as Les mentioned, if you
add files after the most recent full, they will be transfered in full
on each incremental.  After the next full, any file that hasn't changed
won't be re-transferred.

You can set $Conf{IncrLevels} to make each incremental depend on the
last one, which avoids re-transferring files.

If you see files that have been unchanged since the last full still
being transferred in an incremental then that is a problem.

Craig