BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] auto-expire when the disk is full

2008-05-12 10:18:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] auto-expire when the disk is full
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:18:26 +0000
On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 07:46:07AM -0600, dan wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 5:50 AM, Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT
> com>
> wrote:
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if /var/lib/backuppc is full,
> > BackupPC will simply not perform any backups.  I'd like an option to
> > automatically delete the oldest backup in order to perform a new backup.
> >  This is similar to the way MythTV works, if anybody's familiar with
> > that.  When you hit your "episode limit", it lets you either 1) not
> > record any new ones or 2) delete the oldest to make room for a new
> > episode.

> I think that you could do this with a bash script in cron.  do a `df
> /var/lib/backuppc`, determine if the drive is over the limit, which you can
> include the backuppc config file and use that variable in there for
> percentage, then if you are over that percent do an `ls -l $TopDIR/pc/`  and
> choose the oldest file and delete that directory.
>
> this could be very dangerous!

Yup since the oldest backup is probably going to be a full
backup. When you delete that what do the incremental backups use as
their base image? (I am assuming that you aren't filling your
incrementals.)

Also with file pooling I am not sure that deleting just the oldest
backup would help much since the files may be in use by another
backup.

> > How hard would it be to implement this type of setting in BackupPC?

What might be better is a mechanism to allow backup pc to change it's
retention policy and be more aggressive in it's expiration policy when
disk space is tight.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard