BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Help: Backing up a WinXP-Client via Rsync (Cygwin)

2008-05-06 11:45:54
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Help: Backing up a WinXP-Client via Rsync (Cygwin)
From: Kurt Jasper <kurt.jasper AT googlemail DOT com>
To: BackupPC User List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 17:31:11 +0200
Hello,

I want to backup a Windows XP Client using BackupPC. Since the
Windows-Box is NOT running Windows XP Professional, I don't want to use
smb as backup method, because I can not set detailed user rights (only
possible when using win xp prof.)

So I thought I'll take the same approach for backing up the windows
client that I used for backing up my linux server:

1) I've installed cygwin on the client including openssh, rsync
2) I've created a password secured root user on the windows client
3) The BackupPC-User on the server can login into the Windows-Root-User
without a password since I exhanged the public-keys
4) The windows-client can be found using nmblookup WIN-CLIENT-NAME and
also reverse nmblookup -a CLIENT-IP
5) The configuration file on the backuppc-server contains:

$Conf{FullPeriod} = 6.97;
$Conf{IncrPeriod} = 0.97;
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = 2;
$Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = 6;
$Conf{XferMethod} = 'rsync';
$Conf{RsyncShareName} = '/';
$Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = undef;
$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/cygdrive','/proc','/tmp'];
$Conf{XferLogLevel} = 1;
$Conf{CompressLevel} = 3;

Problem: If I start the backup with the above configuration it takes
forever ... the client seems to work, but no data seems to be
tarnsferred. I though that the above configuration should just backup my
c:\cygwin-directory on the client (leaving out /proc and /tmp).
Even after 40 minutes of heavy work (fan running at full speed) and even
if the cygwin-directoy has only 300 MB no data is transferred to the
backup client.

If I change    $Conf{RsyncShareName} = '/';
to                $Conf{RsyncShareName} = '/home';

the backup is working without a problem (just backing up the cygwin-home
directories of course).

Any idea what is going wrong?
I really would like to see a client config-file from you, if you're
using the same setup Cygwin+Rsync or what kind of setup you are using to
backup a win-xp to backuppc (without using samba).

kind regards

- Kurt