BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Optimizing backupPC

2008-05-05 13:01:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Optimizing backupPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 11:22:51 -0500
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> I've had experience with both software and hardware RAID. The short version
> is:
> It all sucks and will die on you in inconvenient and painful ways. Make sure
> your backups are good. Have a spare box on hand if at all possible.
>
> That said; my experince with software RAID is that if one of the disks dies,
> the whole machine might fall over anyway. In most cases you have to down the
> box and reboot in order to swap in a new drive.

That's typically related to IDE (PATA) hardware, not anything to do with
RAID.  SCA (swappable scsi) or SATA in a swappable tray wouldn't have
those issues.

 > Also, if you're using this
> array as your boot drive; it's easy to screw up or otherwise fail to have a
> bootable drive, when the first drive dies.

Worst-case is that you boot a CD in rescue mode and reinstall grub
(there's only 2 choices, depending on how the system sees the 2nd drive
when the first fails...).  And you should know how to do that in any
case since other things can go wrong.

> This gets very hasslesome and
> time-consuming to fix; and when the customer is paying for it at $175/hr
> (yes, we work cheap) time is of the essence.

That's a problem with consultants...  The plus side of software raid is
that there are no other dependencies.  If you have nothing left but one
drive (assuming raid1) you can plug it into just about any
hardware-compatible controller or even a cheap USB adapter and access
the data.  With hardware controllers you'd probably need to keep
matching spares on hand.