BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up to NAS

2008-05-05 00:18:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up to NAS
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 22:18:06 -0600
I have deleted all of the files I was playing with and dont really want to duplicate the process but I can assure everyone that the hardlinks were working correctly.  In fact, the hardlinks we visible on the windows machine and worked just fine.

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:59 AM, Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de> wrote:
Hi dan,

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 12:14:41AM -0600, dan wrote:

Thanks for the work. This clears things up.

> I did a test on ubuntu 8.04
>
> created a samba share at /root/share
>
> i installed smbfs and then mounted that share via
>
> mount -t smbfs //localhost/share /mnt/sharetest
> cd /mnt/sharetest
> touch x
> ln x y
> ls /root/share
> and I see x and y!
> echo 12345 > /mnt/sharetest/x
> cat /root/share/x
> shows 12345
> cat /root/share/y
> shows 12345

What does ls -l /root/share/x show? Does it correctly show the link
count to be 2?

> so there is your proof and confirmation.
>
> also, NTFS does support hardlinks.  You can mount an NTFS filesystem with
> samba and use standard linux/unix tools to make a hardlink.
>
> example
>
> mkdir /mnt/ntfse
> mount -t smbfs //condor/e /mnt/ntfse
> cd /mnt/ntfse
> echo 12345 > 1
> ln 1 2
> cat 1
> >12345
> cat 2
> >12345

Please show us an ls -l output, too.

> Some claim that NFS is faster than samba, but others say samba is faster.
> It seems like the the OS involved on each side is the determining factor,
> and there is no chart that I could find to determin which was faster.

I recently read some benchmarks (IIRC, Felix von Leitner did them)
and one of the conclusions was that M$s Samba implementation is slow. A
Samba on Linux managed to saturate a 1 GBit connection easliy without
requiring too much CPU power. He was quite surprised about that (me
too).

HTH,

Tino.

--
„What we resist, persists." (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de