BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Wildcards on paths & filenames

2008-05-01 18:58:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Wildcards on paths & filenames
From: "Paul Mantz" <pcmantz AT zmanda DOT com>
To: peter_2000 AT users.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 15:57:57 -0700
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 12:41 AM, Peter <peter_2000 AT users.sourceforge DOT
net> wrote:

>  I have set up BackupPC to backup my Windows XP Prof share. As I have
> several users on my machine, I want to make sure that I back up each of
> their "My Documents" folders. I also have a folder that can appear in many
> different sub folders that I do not want to be backed up. Plus, on top of
> these I want to ignore certain files from being backed up, for example,
> *.tmp, *.log, .
>
> My first attempt was to use "\Documents and Settings\*\My Documents",
> however I received the following error NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_INVALID listing
> \Documents and Settings\*\My Documents
> tar: dumped 15 files and directories
>

> As I mentioned earlier, I have a folder, "Do not archive", that may appear
> at different levels, eg "\data\do not archive" or "\data\Peter\doc\do not
> archive". So, I would prefer to put something like "*\do not archive" to
> avoid these folders.
>
> I also entered in the exclude for key *, *.log & *.tmp. However, the test
> file I created was backed up. I then placed under the key for the share,
> that is, Zleo, *.log, then the incremental did not backup the file.
>
> So, I had originally:
> * => *.tmp
> * => *.log
> Which did not work and then replaced the "*" with the share name and it
> worked.
>
> So, my questions are:
> 1) Is there a feature that allows me to perform wildcards on folders?
> 2) Is the syntax for excluding files, needs to have a key for a share and
> not "*"
> 3) From the manual that talks about excluding files, there is this statement
> "If a hash is used, a special key ``*'' means it applies to all shares that
> don't have a specific entry." What is meant by "If a hash is used"?
>
> Thanks
> Peter

Hi!

I suppose now would be a good time to talk about this.  My name's Paul
Mantz and I work for Zmanda.  We've taken interest in BackupPC as a
potential supported offering, and my responsibility is to assess
BackupPC, provide community support, and improve the application.
I've been digging around the code for a couple months, looking at how
we can add functionality and ease of use.

The problem with file inclusions and exclusions is that they are not
uniform at the moment.  Different protocols have different syntaxes
and implementations of file inclusion/exclusion.  At the moment, there
is no support for wildcards, since globbing in Perl (the syntax for
UNIX path specification) interfaces directly with the file system.
However, we are working to make a uniform schema for directory
specification that will work for as many protocols as possible, with
the inclusion of some more fluid syntax.  Implementing wildcards is a
tricky thing, since we assume that the root is the sharename, and
saying '*.tmp'  would be ambiguous as far as depth is concerned.
Would you just want to delete any file matching that pattern on the
root level, or for the whole share?  We are still working on this.

Either way, it is something we are working on, and we would appreciate
any input you could offer.  We've talked with Craig Barratt about
this, and Zmanda was founded with the promoting of open source
technology in mind, so you can expect our work to stay on Sourceforge
and available in the same way.

Adios,

--
Paul Mantz