BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Excluding files

2008-05-01 13:44:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Excluding files
From: Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 13:44:19 -0400

Jake Solid wrote:
> I'm currently using BackupPC to backup few of my servers. I'm only
> having a problem with one of the server getting backed up. There's an
> rsync process that's been running flat out for a long time.  It seems
> that BackupPC is trying to backup a directory of rapidly-changing files,
> that should be excluded.
>
> Yesterday, I went to the config.pl and excluded all the possible files
> that are rapidly changing like log files. today the backup was ran again
> and the rsync process started running for a long time.
>
> What will be the best way to track down  what is causing this process to
> not stop?
>
> The following is the output of the rsync process:
>
> [root@myserver ~]# ps -aux | grep rsync
> root      6496  0.0  0.0  61144   708 pts/20   S+   10:50   0:00 grep rsync
> root     29645 85.3  0.2 130972 65912 ?        Rs   Apr30 759:36
> /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group
> -D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
> --checksum-seed=32761 . / <mailto:backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>

You could run the rsync command from the command line (find it in the
XferLOG for your host), remove the -q option, and add -v, and watch the
output to see where it hangs.  Note that this command should be run from
a temporary directory with enough space to hold your backup files.

When I had unreasonably long backup times, I added --one-file-system to
the rsync arguments because I found I was inadvertently backing up an
nfs mount.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.