Amanda-Users

Re: Backup issues with OpenBSD 4.5 machines

2009-09-29 11:42:24
Subject: Re: Backup issues with OpenBSD 4.5 machines
From: Nathan Stratton Treadway <nathanst AT ontko DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:23:13 -0400
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 09:31:17 -0400, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> When a version of OpenBSD is released where this is no longer an issue
> (5.0?), we can conditionalize it on that version.

Well, I brought up this issue on the general principle that this sort of
workaround hack might have its own unexpected side effects, and thus
there all else being equal it seems like a good idea be able to turn it
off.

And also on general principles, it seems like there will be people who
want to keep running the "old" version of Amanda (i.e. one of the early
ones that includes this workaround) even after they have upgraded to the
new version of OpenBSD (or whatever).  The "wait until it's no longer an
issue" approach would mean that people whould have to upgrade to the
newest Amanda in order to get a version with the workaround disabled.

But I'm not sure how the above general principles trade off with the
fact that this does seem like a low-impact workaround, especially if
there is not an obvious way to tweak the #ifdef.  So I'll leave it to
the people who are actually running OpenBSD to weigh in...  :)

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  nathanst AT ontko DOT com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239