Amanda-Users

Re: holdingdisk-setup for Ultrium/LTO-2

2009-07-31 15:46:31
Subject: Re: holdingdisk-setup for Ultrium/LTO-2
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: "Amanda user's group" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 21:36:18 +0200
Chris Hoogendyk schrieb:

> raid0 for holding disk should be just fine.
>
> any chance of going SAS or scsi?

hmm, I'd prefer to stay with the SATAs I already have here.

Currently I testdrive a RAID0 of two partitions on the two SATAs ... I
will also check for a third SATA-port on the motherboard to maybe add
one of my other SATAs (still have some 250GB and 500GB drives around).

It's more of workstation-hardware than server-hardware ... so it's a bit
limited.

> does the adaptec have another inteface?

Sure, yes, but the capacity of SCSI-drives won't be sufficient here or
at least the drives would be expensive.

Otoh HP recommends not to run tapedrive and harddisk on one
SCSI-controller (in a guide for optimizing performance with
Ultrium-1-drives ...) so I'd like to stay away from any more scsi-hdd.

> the minimum & maximum writing speeds can be drive dependent, but for
> LTO2 it should be 40 max and it might be 20 minimum. I would guess if
> you can keep it above 20 you won't get shoe shining. You're very close
> to that, but if you hit it, the drop in speed would be dramatic.

Afaik ultrium2 adjusts down to around 9 MB/sec or something like that,
so I assume I didn't get any shoeshining so far.

Thanks for your feedback,
Stefan