Amanda-Users

Re: filesys for tape?

2009-07-21 13:57:32
Subject: Re: filesys for tape?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:45:19 +0200
On 07/21/2009 06:11 PM, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM, rir<vze34z3i AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
What filesystem and mount options are recommended for a
tapetype harddisk?

Details:  The amanda-server is a Debian 5 (lenny) host.
The tape size is 40 gigs.  The filesystems are about
540, 990, and 950 gigs.

Not that it much matters but I run most everything on
ext3 filesystems with the relatime option (or noatime
if older).

I've never tested any numbers on which filesystem best suits a VFS
device.  Personally, I use ext3, but I would certainly be interested
in some empirical analysis of this topic.

Removing a large file on ext3 takes ages very long, and the
backup images on the harddisk are all very large usually.
The noatime or relatime option will not matter much here.

The new ext4, when using extends, removes large files much faster.

I have personnaly no experience with XFS, but that is also supposedly
be better in handling very large files.

Otherwise ext3 is good enough.  You want stability first; removing the
files is still faster than rewinding a physical tape.

--
Paul