Amanda-Users

is amanda the right solution

2009-07-01 09:34:31
Subject: is amanda the right solution
From: Andreas Kuntzagk <andreas.kuntzagk AT mdc-berlin DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 15:21:21 +0200
Hi,

we have some genome sequencers which produce lots of data. ATM these are stored on 2 big Solaris Fileservers (~34TB each) but in the long term we want to move these to some kind of archive. One idea is to bye a second tape library (we already have one SL24) and write these datasets to tapes. Since these datasets can span more then one tape (upto 3.5 TB) just using tar or dump is not the solution (at least I'm not aware how to do this). So can I use amanda for this? I found something about long-term archiving in the faq but it is not to elaborate.

To summarize the requirements:

- one-time archiving
- each time a different path
- multi-tape-spanning
- should be easy to find out which tapes in the library are part of the archive.
- easy to setup recovery on a different machine

If amanda is not the right tool, your suggestions are welcome.

regards, Andreas